Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Producer Spotlight: Judah Interview on MTV UK


Not familiar with the name? Don't feel out of the loop. Washington born and bred, Judah is one of the best kept secret in the music industries. Not at all flashy, you will not find this producer bragging or name dropping (but he does have some of hip-hop's finest as Blackberry messenger buddies). Influenced by an original Washington genre of music called 'go-go' (which heavily concentrates on live percussion and has tones of jazz, Brazilian and African sounding beats), Judah still keeps his music soulful. Having worked with artists such as Wale and having featured in big ad campaigns for brands such as Levi et al, how did this DC producer start in the game? Back in the day, having gate crashed his friend’s studio, through curiosity; he discovered his talent for production. With a smile Judah explains, “I went up to the drum machine and just started tapping away. I guess it just sort of came naturally, I felt at home in the studio, which was back when I was just 19. I gradually realised this could actually be a career choice, not only did I love it, but I could make money from it, so I thought why not.”

Now in 2010, Judah has blown his low-key cover with a high profile new project entitled, 'The Amber Rose Instrumentals’. This album is filled with experimental abstract purely instrumental music. So why the title? ''Over in America, Amber Rose is actually quite a controversial character,” says Judah. “Some people think she is just famous because of Kanye, but some others, like myself believe that in fact she is the reason for Kanye's recent international fame. I mean, he was famous before, but since he's been going with Amber, his fame and rep has gone from here to here,” he said whilst motioning his hand from the ground to the sky. “She is a real unusual beauty and has such a strange sexuality and independent strength about her and I guess the title of my album has a double meaning, because I’m also looking in an abstract way, at how men use women as trophies, you know, to heighten their attractiveness, popularity and power. But sometimes your girl can become bigger than you are and I don't need to tell you the story about Frankenstein right? Point proven.”

Judah has been influenced by many types of music as he explains. “I grew up listening to old skool hip-hop, soul, funk, jazz, go-go, pocket beats and artists like Dr. Dre, Run DMC, Rakim, Erick b etc, but now, I’m actually interested by a lot of a UK joints. I really like Tinie Tempah’s track, 'Pass Out'. That beat is seriously heavy and very well produced. I’m also into the funkier vibes, like Gracious K's 'Migraine Skank'. I really think UK music is big right now. I actually think now in 2010, the UK hip-hop stuff is becoming better than the U.S; our hip-hop scene is getting generic. It’s all about just making hit after hit, same melodies, same beats, same rhymes, but the UK’s on the other hand is interesting, because I think you have more to prove, therefore it has a more authentic edge. Basically you guys have more artistic integrity when it comes to these genres of music. I reckon UK grime is gonna be big over here, give it 6 months or so.”

So what does the future hold for Judah? Well, he’s is planning a trip over to the UK this summer and expects to make some tracks and a mixtape as well as record some music videos with some high profile DJs and MCs and can't wait to collaborate with some of the UK urban music scene's finest (Wiley and J2K, especially you). As chat came to a close, Judah explained what his ultimate creative vision was. “I’m not a rapper, I’m not a singer, I’m not a performer, so I speak through my beats, music is my form of communication and sometimes communication isn't always straight forward, that’s why I like to switch it up and surprise people with abstract and uncategorized music and projects like 'The Amber Rose Instrumentals'. This kind of stuff from people like me isn’t done often. I'm just looking forward to coming to London and getting stuck into some creative projects and I want to expand my music vision and knowledge.”

Stay up to date with Judah on Twitter – www.twitter.com/Judahonthebeat

Words: Sarah Young

Online editing: Joseph 'JP' Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment