Sunday, October 31, 2010

Exclusive Interview with Thee Tom Hardy

Thee_Tom_Hardy_Pub_2_w_Logo
Interview by: Medik

Wassup Tom Hardy? Thanks for taking the time out with iStandardProducers to share with our community First off, in one sentence describe your music.
No doubt, thank you for the shine. It’s hard to describe my music in just one sentence but lemme try… “Music that jams, excites, and entertains, that the average joe can relate to.”
You started off making music with your band-mates, Thee Band Geeks. Introduce us to your production team and describe the dynamic when you guys get together to create?
Before we even formally started Thee Band Geeks it was me & my homie Brad from the Geeks, plus his cousins, they had a group called Guess?Who. I did records with them and they taught me how to rap and carry myself on a record. Thee Band Geeks, I knew them all from elementary and middle school. And then we went on to play in the marching band together in high school. There are four members of Thee Band Geeks outside of myself: Brad Brown, Great Scott, Pro-Pat & Reck Mason. The chemistry is just there because its not like you have to set up studio time and make records in a set amount of time. These are the people I kick it with on a regular basis so its like we just hang out, smoke, party do whatever and whenever we get the urge to make a record we just do, and it comes together organically.
Do you produce or play and instrument as well?
A little bit. I played tuba in high school (laughs). But on the production side, I contribute to some of Thee Band Geeks beats. What I mostly do is drum programming and chopping samples. We’ve got 4 beats on my new tape, and I did one called “True Talent” by myself, that one was all me. And then I worked on this other record called “Isnt That Swell,” I did the drums on there. But mostly I try and focus on the vocal aspect of the music. The other Band Geeks are super-talented, not to mention 9th Wonder, and the Soul Council, and all the other dope producers I work with, so there’s really no reason for me to focus on beats. Down the line I’d like to get better and be able to do a whole project over my own beats.
You and 9th Wonder worked together for a few years developing your craft before you got to the masses. What was your experience like growing as an artist with 9th as your mentor?
It’s been wild. At first I thought 9th didnt really fuck with my music. I had to adapt without compromising myself, to make things fit and become a more polished MC, and someone that he could really work with. It took a lot of time, and a lot of watching other people and seeing how they did it, how they carried themselves and it took a lot of patience. 9th is really dedicated to helping new artists so he showed a lot of love and put in a lot of work to help me get to where I’m at today, and hopefully further.
You have a penchant for delivering clever and eclectic rhymes which some may describe as unique. With the excess of competition, what is your strategy for separating yourself from everyone else in the bucket?
I really don’t go into it with a strategy. I just try and make the best music I can, and write the best rhymes I can and say them in the flyest way possible. I’m definitely trying to carve out a lane for myself and separate myself from everybody else, but I’m also a fan of some of the newer rappers, so we collaborate and make records that showcase everybody’s strengths. My labelmates at JAMLA & The Academy are so dope that I just feel like I have to keep up with what they’re doing (laughs). But as far as having a unique style, I honestly think I do have that, and I’m glad that people are picking up on it. The last thing I want to be is boring.
There have been a few leaks but when are we going to get to hear ‘Secret Of Thee Green Magic’?
We’re finally getting ready to release it on October 20th. It’s gonna be available through my website (www.TheeTomHardy.com <http://www.TheeTomHardy.com> ) and through DJBooth.net. That’s a Web site that’s shown me a lot of love and they’re dedicated to helping me reach more people. And with the type of music we made for the tape I think it’ll go pretty far.
Thee_Tom_Hardy_Pub_1_w_Logo
You have a lot of features lined up (Donnis, Skyzoo, Yelawolf and others) on this next project. What is your approach to working with other artists and what has been your most memorable collaboration thus far?
Just to get it straight I only work with artists that I am fans of. All of the collaborations I’ve got on Green Magic, they’re on there because I wanted them to be. I reach out to different people for different types of songs and only pick people who can add something to the song. I think it’s important not to just do songs with people because you think their name will get you some shine. I have some bigger names on my mixtape but they are people that I listen to, and people that fuck with my music.
Do you have a 2-5 year plan mapped out? Care to share?
Man I’m taking it day-by-day. But in the next 5 years I want to be earning a good living off of making the music I want to make. If I can support myself and a family of my own one day, just by being an MC, that will be perfect.
Any plugs/shoutouts?
I want to shout out 9th Wonder and It’s A Wonderful World Music Group, Thee Band Geeks, Eddie Blackmon and ASORE Management, and anybody that’s supported my music and shown me love. Hit me up on twitter @TheeTomHardy. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment