Friday, October 8, 2010

Young-Fyre Is The Next Superstar Music Producer

Young-Fyre first caught my attention around 2007. He was a big name in the online beat battle community. Fast forward a year and he was featured on Tech N9ne's platinum selling 'Killer' album. We recently caught up with Young-Fyre to learn how he went from beat battles to producing hits for T-Pain, Rick Ross, and Akon.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Well, I was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. Which is a small, but normal city. Nothing like what you would expect when you hear the name. Really solid household with great parents. Always had a super strong work ethic and that's exactly what it takes to make it out of there. There is 0 music scene out there, but I am a true believer in if you work hard enough, you can make it out of anywhere, under any circumstances.

What artists have you worked with?
I've worked with Tech N9ne, T-Pain, Rick Ross, Brisco, Akon, Young Money, One Chance, Sophia Fresh, Young Cash, Twista, Shawnna, and Krayzie Bone just to name a few. I've been blessed.

How did you hook up with Tech N9ne?
Long story short, a guy I met online from Sweden by the name of Chubby, introduced me to Tech. He told me for months he had connects and I didn't believe him so I never sent beats until one day, I just gave in and sent some. Those three I sent were my first three placements. One being Tech N9ne's single "Like Yeah" where he gave me a shout out in the verse as well as a cameo in the video.

What steps did you take to sign with T-Pain?
I had been working diligently up to that point on building a solid career. I was introduced to a good friend of mine now by way of PMP. He goes by the name Young Money. He heard my music and hit me up. I chopped it up with him and we just clicked. We dealt with each other for months, when one day he played beats for Young Cash, who loved them and took them to T-Pain. Pain called me at 11pm that night and said, "I love your beats and I want to sign you." The rest is history. Pretty monumental being the first producer he has signed. He's immensely talented and until now saw no need for a producer because he'd done everything himself. For him to take me in was a real honor and blessing.

What is your creative process when producing?
I usually start with drums. Most definitely if its a club or uptempo. I only start with melody on R&B and southern joints. Once the drums are played the melodies just come to me. Its a pretty crazy talent that I've been blessed with. I also have a production team by the name of KASAI LLC, which consist of myself, Andrew Lloyd, Karbon, and Q-Rock. I reach out to them if I'm stuck or they send me ideas that I freak. We have a super solid team, that is extremely efficient.

How long does it take you to make a beat?
Usually no more than 2 hours, but it can be as little as an hour with all formatting done. It only takes days when I do a country or rock song, which requires constant change.

Describe a day in your life from the time you wake up.
I have kids so the first thing I usually hear is their voices! After that it's straight to work, then workout for an hour and off to T-Pain's if he's in town. If he is not, I'll bang out all day, or go to other sessions I have. I eat and shower in between all that and eventually sleep.
What equipment do you use?
I use FL Studio and a midi controller with tons of VST's and custom drums.

What gear do you recommend to new producers?
I would only recommend what I know. But I will say to each his own. Do not think that you need a million dollar studio to make million dollar songs.

Any Young-Fyre secret production tips for TrackHustle readers?
The biggest mistake I see in up and coming producers is IMITATION! Be yourself, don't be afraid to get out of the box! If you have someone you idolize as a producer, don't steal there sound. Instead, develop your own from their sound. Secondly EQ, EQ, and EQ. I can't say it enough. It will take an average beat to an extraordinary beat! Mix your beats as if you were already rich. If you can not hire some one to EQ/mix for you, then learn it! There's no excuse with the massive amounts of info on the web.

In your opinion, what is the best way to break into the business?
Relationships! Getting out and meeting people. There's no substitute for it! Being dope online can only get you so far. You have to make the right relationships with the right people. There are tons of producers with better beats that don't make albums simply because of not having the right relationships to make it happen. Spend almost as much time networking as you do developing your craft. The better you get at your craft the more time you should be able to put into networking. This game along with any other industry out there is all about chess, not checkers. Think smart, and burn no bridges. You never know who knows who and who can take you to where you need to be. My situation is a perfect example. Had I not began that relationship with Chubby, I would have never made it to Tech N9ne. In turn, I would never have been on PMP, I would have never met Young Money, and I would never have been with T-Pain. It's crazy when you think about it all.

How has the internet played a role in your success?
Huge role. I started out on a beat battling site called RocBattle. I went after all the big wigs on there and won. It kept me on my toes because I had to stay creative to keep winning battles. I never lost a tournament battle and ended up with a record of 233 and 9. Not bad for a guy from Iowa.

What should music producers avoid at all costs?
As I stated previously, avoid burning bridges! I can't stress it enough. This still applies once you make it. We all know how fast it can be taken away. Burn the wrong record executive and your career is over!

What projects are you currently working on?
I'm currently working on T-Pain's Revolver album. I have all of his singles, which I'm really proud of. I also have the single "Sexin' On You" by One Chance that's out (look out for my cameo in the video). I'm working real close with Young Money (the label), T.I. and Rick Ross. Of course the new Tech N9ne I'll be on and the rest of his label. Also check me out in Nelly's video for his new single, got a cameo in that video as well. I'm trying to break in on the country and rock side as well, so look out for that. I'm excited for the days everyone gets to see my true talents. I'm not just a beat maker, but a true producer in every sense of the word.
How can artists get in contact with you if they want tracks?
Reach out to my management Shea of SMG at sheamgmt@gmail.com
Also check me out on YoungFyre.com

2 comments:

  1. Inspirational man. It helps knowing all that hard work eventually pays off. Stay on top of the game, I'll see you there soon.

    ReplyDelete