Monday, January 17, 2011

Producer Lex Luger Talks Working On Kanye West, Jay-Z's Watch The Throne


In addition to gents like Kanye West and Swizz Beatz, 2011's musical landscape was also led by another gentleman, Lex Luger. The Virginia native-turned-sometimes-Atlanta transplant produced Waka Flocka's "Hard In Da Paint" and Rick Ross' "B.M.F. (Blowin' Money Fast)," and since we based our 2010 Mixtape Daily Year-End Awards Top Producers selections on beats that utilized samples, we couldn't include Lex. So to begin the new year properly, we're saluting the 19 year-old — and so is Kanye West.
"In 2011, I don't want to speak too much on it but Jay-Z and Kanye West working on an album and he's really messing with me, so I got Kanye West," said Lex, when asked what he's serving up this year. "I've been working more with Fabolous. I've been working with everybody, a lot of people been saying that 'Lex Luger only got that Waka sound' so I'm trying to take it somewhere else because I do have another sound, and that's where I want to take it for 2011."
The young man, who also contributed to Ross' Ashes To Ashes mixtape, said that he created "Hard In Da Paint" at 16 years-old and met the recently incarcerated Flocka through the web.
"I met Waka through MySpace and I was sending him beats like every other day and he told  me 'I want to fly you out here in a couple months, I just want to get everything squared away,' " recalled Lex. "He was blowing up, but he hadn't really popped but once he got everything right I went out there and stayed with him for a couple months. We just went hard, and every since people heard me and Waka working together, that's when Rick Ross and Fabolous came because they liked that sound."
Admitting that his style often comes across as angry, the "B.M.F." producer says that his talents don't stop at street hits.
"I'ma still be angry and have my drums, it's still gonna blow your speakers but I know how to play the keyboard," said Lex. "I can come up with a melody that somebody like Trey Songz can sing like that, but it'll still have my drums."
And as he prepares to expand his career, the Southern gentleman who just welcomed his second infant daughter last month, says his success is still sinking in.
"I'm still surprised, a lot of people say that it ain't really set in yet," admitted Lex. "Jay-Z and Kanye West, that's cool to me. I'm enjoying it. I ain't gon' say that I've really got the feel of this position but I like what I'm doing. As long as my family's straight, that's all I care about."

No comments:

Post a Comment