Friday, December 3, 2010

5 Very Bad Facebook Marketing Tactics

Some time ago I addressed some very irritating marketing tactics that artists were using on Twitter. The article was called 5 Very Bad Twitter Marketing Habits.  But equally irritating are tactics some Facebook users use to promote themselves or their music.  Here are some of the most annoying ones.
1. Event invitation spam.  This is at the top of my list of Facebook annoyances. Promoters repeatedly send RSVP notices about their events and they flood my inbox. You actually have to take time out to find the event and click that you won’t be attending or you’ll leave yourself vulnerable to repeated alerts. Sometimes you can’t tell who is even sending you these invites.
Any Facebook friends of mine that abuse this function get blocked. Some abusers don’t even take to the time to notice that they are inviting me to an event that’s not in my state. Most people are annoyed at this and I hope that Facebook comes up with a better way to stop this.  Over aggressive promotion is a sure way to turn a potential fan to a person who’s more than glad to leave your social network.
2. Don’t post your song or video on my wall. If you don’t know me like that, don’t take it upon yourself to force me or the rest of my friends to play your media. If you want me to check it out, send it privately. If I like it, I’ll share it. Posting your promos on other’s walls is rude, dude.
3. Tagging me on pics and videos I’m not in. If I’m not in your video or pic, don’t tag me. I’ll remove it.  Stop trying to shove your stuff down people’s throat.
4. Don’t ruin my updates with your personal crap.  It never fails. I write and inspiring update to uplift my friends when someone comes along to fuck it all up.
Example:
My Update: “One secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.”
  • Reckless Reply #1: Hey dude call me!
  • Reckless Reply#2: Man I sent you some tracks. Did you listen to em yet?
  • Reckless Reply #3:  Send me some beats.
Don’t handle business or promote on other’s profile updates. It’s tacky and kinda on some stalker shit. Send a personal message instead.
5. People who “I like” their own updates. This is not really a marketing tactic that has any real effect, but if you post a song, video or even a statement, and you click the “I Like” link on your own shit, I’m sorry but you’re a bit of a narcissist. Don’t be alarmed, most artists have an inflated self image and that can be sometimes beneficial. But do you think for a second that no would know that you liked your own update if you didn’t click the “I Like” link?
By the way, IndieHipHop has it’s own Facebook Fan Page. It’s open for you to post, promote or start discussions. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment